WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR FEEDBACK, IF YOU COULD TAKE A SECOND TO REVIEW THIS ARTICLE.
Reader Rating20 Votes
Depression amongst the grooming Industry.
It’s a scientific fact that only around 10% of an iceberg can be seen above water, the other 90% is below water level…
We often compare our business as groomers as an Iceberg. Our family, friends, customers and competitors only see the tip. The success, the professionalism, the smiles and pretty dogs tottering out the door, yet all the hard work is hidden below the surface.
The sleepless nights, the hard work, the overtime, the tears… Oh the tears.
They all remain hidden and It’s fair to say that depression and anxiety is common theme amongst our fellow groomers.
But what should we do when the Titanic hits our iceberg and you find yourself on the sinking ship?
Coping with depression can be an extremely lonely and scary place and everyone’s symptoms can vary from person to person. Looking for the signs that you might be suffering from stress, anxiety and depression are essential in making your day to day life feel more comfortable and bearable when you’re struggling.
Do not underestimate the power of talking.
Sharing your feelings out loud can sometimes help make sense of your surroundings. Whether its to a family member, a friend, a stranger or a professional, tell someone how your feeling.
People experiencing anxiety and depression for the first time are often shocked at how many people are going through or have gone through the same thing.
According to the samaritan’s here are a few of the tell tale signs your heading for a burnout…
Lacking energy or feeling tired
Feeling exhausted all the time
Experiencing ‘brain fog’, find it hard to think clearly
Finding it hard to concentrate
Feeling restless and agitated
Feeling tearful, wanting to cry all the time
Not wanting to talk to or be with people
Not wanting to do things you usually enjoy
Using alcohol or drugs to cope with feelings
Finding it hard to cope with everyday things and tasks
Experiencing ‘burn out’
Depression and anxiety. Lend an ear.
Listening to someones troubles, concerns or even just sitting with someone can change their day. Its not important to give advice, just telling someone that you understand how they feel and letting them know that you’re there can be just what they need.
Mindfulness can be a great coping mechanism when things get tough, in fact there are lots of techniques out there that can be used to help guide you through difficult moments. Breathing exercises, CBT, positive mindset amongst many others can be found online.
Writing down your feelings can sometimes help make sense of your thoughts, keeping a daily diary can help track your feelings and you can see your progress.
Keeping track of your feelings when you’re having good days is imperative, this ensures that during the bad times you can remind yourself in your own words, that theres light at the end of the tunnel.
Don’t be afraid to take prescription medication as advised by your doctor. There seems to be a bit of a stigma if you need some extra support.
It doesn’t have to be for life, but don’t discount it either.
Herbal remedies can also help if you would rather an alternative, CBD oil, St Johns wart and Omega 3 fatty acids have had good reviews, but always consult your doctor before taking anything, particularly if you are on prescription medication.
So if you find yourself going down with that sinking ship, recognise although it’s a scary, overwhelming experience, you have a lifeboat.
Dont panic and jump overboard, use it to get to shore and know that things WILL get better.
If you ever feel like your emotions or feelings are too much to handle or you feel like harming yourself or others please reach out. There are professionals on hand day and night to help you. Call 999, visit A&E or call The Samaritans if you ever get suicidal thoughts.
Useful Information if your suffering from depression or anxiety.
Samaritans 116 123. You don’t always need to be having suicidal thoughts to call this number. Only 1 in 5 people who call, report having suicidal feelings.
Facebook group: Groomers who suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and depression. There are lots of groomers in similar spots and its a great network where we can all support one another. No judgement.